At our best, we strive to share in God’s vision. And on our bad days, we let God dream for us and through us.
“God has a dream. God has a dream, a vision, plan, a sublime divine purpose for this world. God has a dream for his creation, a dream for every man, woman, and child whoever walked upon the face of the earth, and God will not rest until our nightmare is ended and God's dream is realized.
That's what Jesus is all about. That's what he came to show us. He came to show us the way to live God's dream instead of our nightmare. He came to show us the way to be truly and authentically and genuinely human as God intended and created us. He came to show us how to become more than simply an individual collection of self-interests. He came to show us how to become the human family of God.”
(The Most Reverend Michael Curry, Presiding Bishop)
WHAT WE DO
We gather. We worship. We pray. We celebrate. We grieve. We teach. We learn. We sing. We serve. And we do all of this by God’s grace.
We are a bunch of baptized people who occasionally have our act together, often are a mess, and always try hard! We are kids and parents and single people and teenagers and grandparents and married people and divorced people and gay people and retired people and students and people still trying to figure out what end is up.
We care deeply about worship, preaching, and our life of common prayer. But our worship is not stuffy and squirmy kids are usually the best part of any Sunday morning. We love to sing together, and our choir, made up of largely volunteers, usually makes us cry at least several times a year.
We ask impossible questions of Jesus and one another and search for answers together.
We seek Jesus in the community, where he promised we would find him, and care
passionately about outreach.
The Chapel of St. John on the Mountain held its first service on October 27, 1907. Prior to 1907, Mr. Percy Pyne had organized Sunday prayers in the carriage room of his stables so that servants from local estates could attend services near their home and work. St. John’s was a “mission” under the Parish of St. Bernard’s for its first 40 years, and was granted Parish status in 1948, right after the original chapel burned and was rebuilt. The Parish of St. John on the Mountain was formally in existence on June 9, 1949, when Bishop Wallace John Gardner handed the keys to the parish’s new rector, the Reverend William Nieman. A 1964 Church expansion brought the buildings to their current state. Under continued inspired and effective leadership, it has also grown in spiritual stature and developed a remarkable sense of community and strength. The Parish celebrated its Centennial in October of 2007.